Glorantha

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 22:12:32 EST

Michael Raaterova
>Glorantha is, first and foremost, a campaign setting. Its function is to
>provide an interesting and inspiring backdrop for roleplaying fun. Thus,
>the gloranthan sources are sources not of Truth, but of Inspiration. If
>something doesn't feel right to your campaign, ignore it. I won't let
>claims of "correctness" hamstring my imagination or shackle my campaign.

Although I agree with pretty much every other detail of Michael's advice to Peter Maranci, I feel compelled to point out that his first statement is not correct. Glorantha is not "first and foremost, a campaign setting." From the very beginning, it was Greg Stafford's fantasy world. Before RuneQuest ever came out, he wrote fiction (a bit of which was published) and a couple of wargames.

RuneQuest has done a lot for Glorantha, and has defined many portions of it. But, RPGs are NOT and never will be the only important aspect of Glorantha. Game mechanics can only go so far. People who think a Gloranthan RPG, RQ or otherwise, is first and foremost iin Glorantha, are cheating themselves, IMO.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com