Military Magic Theory

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 97 07:05:30 -0000

Hey folks,

Those interested should check out "The Art of Tactical Sorcery: a treatise on military magic on the world of Tekumel" by John E. Tiehen (Tekumel Games, 1986), an excellent, albeit non-Gloranthan sourcebook on the application of magic to mass military endeavor. While brief and tailored to existing Tekumel rules, "The Art of Tactical Sorcery" discusses the training and organization of magical units, as well as the methods by which such powerful magics can be achieved and utilized.

The concepts pur forth by Mr. Tiehen are certainly an excellent framework upon which to model various Gloranthan approaches to military magic. Mr. Tiehen's model is comparable to those few relatively detailed descriptions which we have of Lunar-style military magic, such as we find recounted in the Cradle scenario.

Although I am not certain one exists, I'll look into locating an electronic version of AoTS for those parties so interested...

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"What if life actually *was* fair, and we somehow deserved all the truly awful things that happened to us?" -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #286