Ghosts and New Cults

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:38:45 +1300 (NZDT)

Christoph Luehr:

>in KoS there is written that after the destruction of the Maboder
>their ghosts went to the Lunars for revenge. So I guess that there
>are still some ghosts from the Maboder after the defeat of the
>Telmori. But how do I imagine rampagint Maboderghosts ? How is living
>with them aroung for the Cincina ? Has anyone of you any ideas about
>this ?

The Cinsina appease the ghosts of the Maboder by leaving stray dogs tied up on certain nights. That way the ghosts can visit their hatred upon substitutes for those who have wronged them. If the Cinsina are really lucky, they might have a Telmori beastbrother or even a live Telmori for the sacrifice in which case one ghost satiates his vengeance and is released.

Michael a pastorello:

In his desire for a christianity-type cult, mentions that he plays in New Pavis under the Lunars. IMO the best cult to use would be that of the White Moon. The following parallel is not actually based on christianity as such but on the careers of Mohammed and the Madhi Muhammad Ahmad (a sudanese fanatic who captured Khartom). This gives you plenty of opportunities for adventure no matter which side your players choose: whether it be valiantly storming enemy forts (a la Lawernce of Arabia) or being trapped behind such forts (a la General Gordon and Beau Gueste). In any case, they have their work cut out for them.

The White Moon has a well developed following in peloria but you don't need to worry about that since you are playing in Prax. There is a movement under Argrath Whitebull (who is one of many) which kicks the Lunars out of Prax circa 1625 (although nobody has heard of it in 1620).

So what you could have is that Argrath Whitebull was originally some secretive white moonie who goes out into the desert, goes insane and comes out thinking that he is the White Moon Emperor who is destined to overthrow the Red Moon Empire. All the nomads listen to him because his new insight allows him to be immune to the otherwise irresistable lunar magics. Following him gives them some limited immunity.

The philosophy and mechanics of the cult can be whatever you want them to be. The Orlanthi are friendly to this guy because he opposes Lunars. Or the Orlanthi could be cynically trying to manipulate this guy (cf Lawence of Arabia) for their own purposes.

Some extra details:

Some have suggested that Argrath Whitebull is actually a reincarnation of Jaldon Toothmaker. I'd go along with that and suggest that to be initiated into the White Moon cult, one must sacrifice a tooth. This is used by the cult shamans (who crossdress and are thus vulgarly known as the Tooth Fairies) to create the White Moon on the Other Side. The shamans can also replace your sacrificed teeth with copper rune-carved substitutes (a picture pof something similar may be found on David Dunham's Webpage). Argrath naturally has lost all his teeth to the White Moon.

The only further adventures of this guy that we know about has his army being destroyed by a Demon 'with two arms and an extra one' sent by Tatius the Bright in 1625. The 'extra arm' is the only lunar magic that can harm the white moon cultists. Whether Argrath lives or dies at that battle has no bearing on the future of the cult IMO as his cultists may simply decide to take up his work (as happened in Islam). In any case, his vision succeeds in the end with the pulling down of the Red Moon...

I hope this helps