Re: Orlanthi, Hoplites

From: johnjmedway <jmedway_at_io.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:27:57 -0600

Nick:
>>Gee, it's almost too obvious, isn't it... Bunch of famous
>>mercenaries, credited in Dragon Pass with *inventing* the
>>most advanced form of warfare yet discovered, hired by the
>>rulers of Pavis to march out to Prax and settle nearby --
>>maybe, just maybe, they brought the techniques of hoplite
>>warfare with them?

Sorry to open this one back up, but a couple of things don't seem right to me.

  1. I don't have a copy of WBRM (yeah, a completest like me missing _that!?!), but in the Dragon Pass game, the Sun Dome Templars are _from _Dragon _Pass. (Admittedly, seeing whats in WBRM could change this assertion).
  2. With only 16,000 population, according to Sun County, I find it hard to believe that the Sun County folks could field 3000 (three DP counters) mercenary pikes, especially because they'd need to provide almost that number again for baggage train, logistics, peltasts, etc. If you're sending almost 20% of your population as Pike for hire (plus probably another 10% of your population as logistics and baggage train and peltasts) off as mercenaries on a semi-regular basis, who is at home to guard from the nomads? Who is left to farm?

As I'd play 'em, the Sun County guys are some yokels who came from the DP Sun Dome, and over the intervening years may or may not have kept their drill straight.

Hmmm... Trees a bit stunted compared to back in our Great-great grandfathers' land. Maybe we can revise our 2H Pike & Shield Phalangite drill to use a spear instead...