Sacred Time

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 20:51:57 +0000

Michael Raaterova kindly said:

> Sacred Time isn't about celebrating the spring equinox, though it does
> take place at that time. Sacred Time is about mourning the death of
> the year (and thus the world) and celebrating the birth of the new year
> (and thus the world).

Yes, exactly. In the RW this is what I'm going to be celebrating tomorrow (I know a lot of others think it's the Garzeen HHD, but since that too is in Sacred Time I don't see any contradiction here.)

Happy Sacred Time, people!

Personally I'm doing an Ernaldan HQ this year (NY resolution: I *will* finish off the Earth LBQ write-up).

We start with a massive food-gathering ceremony. Then ritual cleansing of the house. The first part of the Test of Cooking, and then the tricky bit: "why hasn't my husband got back from the pub? I'd better go and find him". No, let's be fair. More likely I'll have sent him off to the shops: perhaps even for spare bulbs for the tree. Comparisons between Xmas shopping and the Underworld seem fair to me.*

On the day itself, after a further Test of Cooking, we have the Great Compromise, at which various members of the family who can't stand each other are convinced not to come to blows.

I seem to be missing a few stages, but as a practise HQ it's got something going for it.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/