Praise, Elamle, Prax/Sky, the Three

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:50:29 EST

Sergio
>A problem I have is that sometimes I would like to say something like 'I

>realy liked what you posted in GD vX#ZZZ'

>Yet, I think that if everybody starts sending this kind of messages, GD
>will get full with praysing messages. But i still want to tell people
how
>much I apreciate their ideas. What I'm considering now is to start
posting
>every 10 or 20 GD #s a message with what I liked best in those #s.
Before
>starting to do it, I would like to know what you think about such
postings.

>Comments on the above?

Why not just email them privately?

Peter Metcalfe on Elamle:
>From what I recall of the Pamaltela book, the population of Elamle
>have a four tiered caste system in which the children of one caste
>will enter the next higher caste (the kids of the nobles become
>farmers). A Malkioni origin for the castes seems probable IMO
>although the culture of the Elf Coasts is mostly pamaltelean.

Nature of the culture confirmed by my copy, and I agree that Malkioni immigrants are a very likely source of this system. Good research, Peter.

Jean Durupt
>+map of tales#14
>I suppose that the Vast teeth are the Shan Shan mountains, but where is
>Graydust ?

Actually, the Vast Teeth hills are not the Shan Shan Mountains, they are the large range of hills to the northwest of the Krjalki Bog -- they are a bit more defined in the map in Drastic: Prax, though I don't think I labelled them directly, since the Waha Trail described in Tales and Drastic goes right through them.

Per original Nomad Gods, Greydust is the area between the Krjalki Bog and the Shan Shan Moutnains, though generally only the northern part.

>Since the Red Moon gives a crimson light, the night sky is violet or
>indigo rather than black during the full moon days (it has always this
>colour inside the glowline).

I don't think the Moon's light is ever bright enough to tinge all of the sky with Her crimson radiance -- the Red Moon is no larger, and probably no brighter, than earth's moon. Certainly, though, the area around her, and possibly even most of the Upper Sky, takes on a crimson tint on the Full Moon nights.

Jane asks:
>I gather from scraps in KoS that "the Three" tend to make pronoucements
>at the child's birth: fate, geases, that kind of stuff. I've never yet
>managed to fit "the Three" into Orlanthi myth to my satisfaction: could
>they be three of the Earth goddesses? The three dark ones, who otherwise

>have no place in the child-birth cycle?

A good idea, though it would be better if the three dark goddesses were not all so inimical to people, especially to me! Somehow, I can't see Ty Kora, Babs, or Maran Gor giving any good gifts to a boy child!

I view the Three as more akin to the Fates, or to the three Fairies in some stories, who bring gifts or make pronouncements. I think they are either seen as minor spirits, or as Gods above the Gods type things.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com