Gloranthans and Pain

From: gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:49:51 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalfe wrote on HoTSA:

>>Well, even with the presence of many gifts and Regrow Limb, I'd suspect
>>that, ahem, oral sex is a matter for only the bravest of male trolls...
>Why? AFAIK The female Uz don't worship Gorgorma and get her second
>mouth spell.

Actually, I was thinking the first mouth is the problem. Chomp. What male troll is going to volunteer to venture his naughty bits near a cranky, tusked, short-sighted and perpetually hungry female troll? Other forms of OS are at the direction of the female troll (who probably doesn't trust a tusked, short-sighted, cranky and hungry male troll...).

On a different topic -- I was re-reading an old Larry Niven story recently, and one digression within might have an interesting insight on Glorantha. To wit, in most of Niven's stories medical care is so common and available (the "autodoc") that few people *need* to deal with pain -- if you hurt yourself, you have the injury tended to in a minute or two at the most.

Is this true of Glorantha? Healing spells would seem IMO to be the first spell a Gloranthan would learn. Does Healing also numb the pain of wounds? And if so, does this mean that Joe Glorantha suffers "less" pain correspondingly than Joe RW, because injuries will quickly be Healed?

(This could be taken the other way as well -- if Healing doesn't give solace to pain, then Gloranthans experience *more* of it -- since a Gloranthan will discover that minor injuries can be healed, and may not be as worried about such minor gashes and such.)

It also leaves open the question of whether or not Healing can help with the pain of childbirth (probably not, considering Solace), disease, pain spirit possession and age -- so there would still be several ways that they'd still experience pain.

Still, I wonder -- when a brand new, 16 year old PC gets a nasty wound in their first adventuring battle, should this be a startling and shocking experience in terms of pain (aside from the experience of having Big Nasty Things hack at you).

James Frusetta