Kolating in Sartarite society

From: Kaselov-Sandberg <md24855_at_dredd.swipnet.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:01:56 +0100

Hello,

Patrik Sandberg pops in...

Is there anyone who has any ideas or theories about how the Sartarite kolating (shaman) fits in their tribal society as of the 1620's?

For one thing, how many are there? I have presumed that not every tribe among the Quivini has one. Could there be as few as four or five for the whole of central Sartar?

Apart from their dealings with all sorts of spirits, how do they interact with society at large? How do they make a living? Do they have a small following dedicated to gathering their food?

Or do they perform various chores for the ordinary Orlanthis and Ernaldings, in return receiving food and shelter? Do they teach spirit spells to people belonging to the ordinary cults? If not, who do they teach their magic?

What refrains people interested in such powerful stuff as ritual magic from learning it from a Kolating in stead of their cult? (Much cheaper in POW-cost, following standard RQ III-rules) At least a PC Kolating in my Sartar campaign is perfectly willing to teach all kind of spirit magic to people if they pay him decently. Is there some kind of taboo making this impossible? Or are people simply too afraid having any dealings with a half-crazed Kolating? I have not come up with any satisfactory answer to my player yet.

Is there anyone who can shed some light upon this matter? Or just present your views on the questions I've raised?

Many thanks in advance.

Patrik
kaselov.sandberg_at_swipnet.se