Pentans and Emperors

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:27:15 +1300 (NZDT)

Andrew Joelson:

{I've already dealt with some of his queries in another post]

>Urm??? The EWF hired Pentans to fight the Praxians? This is certainly
>the first I heard of it.

River of Cradles (p8) presents a potted history of how the Pure Horse Tribe came to Prax.

>How did they contact the Pentans, anyway? Pent is on the other side
>of Prax & Vultures Country/the Waste. The EWF wouldn't have come into
>contact witht the Pentans until after conquering Dara Happa
>and moving through what is now known as the Redlands.

The Pentans came down through the north. In Garsting, there is a place named Poralals which is stated to be a horse nomad centre (according to the Broken Council Guide). From there, it is only a short ride through Imther or Balazar to reach Dragon Pass. Indeed in 712 ST, horse nomads sacked Dragon Pass.

The tribe contacted by the EWF probably came from Garsting as the land was being cleansed of Horse Nomads by General Kastok.

>The EWF helped Pavis build his city? If I ever heard this, I had
>forgotten it (entirely possible). But I seem to recall this event being
>described largely as a fight between Pavis & the Dwarves vs the Giants,
>and the Giants lost.

To be precise, the EWF helped Pavis's successor to reconquer his city.

>Allow me to remind you that in
>the EWF mini-LARP/event/whatever that _you_ put on at GC V, one of the
>counsel members was a Tribal Khan. The name something-or-other Golden
>Tongue sticks in my memory.

With a name like that, he probably was from the Pure Horse Tribe.

>I too like the idea of a Red Emperor in Kralorela as a 'guest'.
>Might I suggest that it is the original, ever-reincarnating, always the
>same Red Emperor described in Whire Bear & Red Moon?

That is exactly my intention when I described him as Takenegi. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

>But Sheng Seleris figured out that by keeping him alive as a
>prisoner, he somehow prevented the appearance of the next,
>identical brother. This would be the time decribed as when the
>Red Emperor died & did not return. Finally, after much effort,
>Lunar supporters put together the new Red Emperor out of the Egi,
>(with the Goddess's blessing, of course). That started the line
>of Emperors that changed with each incarnation, as described in later
>writings...

My theory is more complex and involves Harald's theory about Magnificus=Jannisor. It's still in its infancy but put simply the Emperor went to the Mad Sultan to seek release from his terrible illness (mentioned in the Lunar Wane Chronicles). He's saved but is no longer Dara Happan Emperor. So he submits to Sheng (deluding Sheng into thinking that he's won), suffers the usual abuse for a slave and is packed off to the far east to help subjugate the Kralori.