Minor topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 19:46:39 +1300 (NZDT)

Erik Nolander:

>One thing I thought of was to let the chance of
>understanding a Riddle be equal to the Knowledge bonus. This would mean,
>of course, that certain characters would have absolutely no chance of
>becoming Illuminated (i.e., those with Knowledge bonus <=0), but that
>makes sense to me, at least.

I don't believe that comprehension of a Riddle is dependant on knowledge. A Riddle really is a paradox that arises from everyday experiences.

Jeff Richard:

>That the God Learners allied with the PHP against the animal nomads shows
>merely that the PHP hated the animal nomads far more than they loved the
>EWF.
They didn't. They allied with the God Learners so they could loot the cradles more effectively. The animal nomads were a spent force by the time of the alliance IMO. Mind you, the Pure Horse People are infamous for flip-flopping alliances; consider their record in Dragon Pass!

Nick Brooke:

>And we all know by now that Arkat wounded himself on the Hero Plane
>(which is where he got his otherwise-unhealable injury from): two of
>his heroquests overlapped, and (all unknowing) he shot himself in the
>foot. Silly bugger.

I believe this blindness persists with his followers in Ralios today. When Cults of Terror talks about the Cult of Arkat being epitomes of the Bright Side of Nysalor and ready to hunt down those who have fallen to the Dark Side, they are really hunting down their rival Arkati cultists who detect on their sense Gbaji magics.

Of course their HeroQuests IMO are really attempts to meet the Deceiver* on the Heroplane and kill him. Naturally the various wounds and transformations they take can cause the Questers outlook to change such that he registers on his cult's sense Gbaji spells. Thereupon he is condemned as a traitor and a Gbaji worshipper. If he survives his ex-cults attempts to hunt him down, he will have to look for a new Arkati cult that would take him in (ie one that does not perceive him as Gbaji).

*Normally this is Gbaji but some Arkati are undoubtedly around the bend so much that they think it's Arkat they seek...

Shannon Appel:

NB>>The "King of Dragon Pass" when this migration happened (c.620 ST) would
>>presumably have been a leader in the EWF's Third Council: the EWF was
>>formed in Dragon Pass in 578 "as a ruling religious and political body
>>over the Dragon Pass peoples."

>Small caveat: in 620 the EWF is solely a religious body, not a
>political one. The total political takeover is at the "Third Council"
>date given in _Griffin Mountain_ (826 ST).

The 'ruling religious and political body' is the description given by the Glorantha Book p22 for the foundation of the formal establishment of the EWF in 578 ST. In 700 ST, Hrestol Arganitus mentions that the Leftside Community of the Wyrmfriends 'have no government except the mystical Inner Brotherhood who are sequestered at Dragon's Eye' (KoS p182). Therefore the description of it as "solely" a religious body is incorrect.