Lunar magicians.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 22:54:11 GMT

John Constable wonders, of magicians of College of Magic:
> Would all of them be illuminated? I got the impression from what I
> had read that Illumination was an unusual thing, even in the Lunar
> Empire, that it changes ones perception of the world fundamentally.

Yes to both. But then again, being a magician in the Lunar School of Magic is pretty unusual too: there are supposedly about 100,000 Illuminants, but only about 1000 or so such magicians. So it's not an infeasible proposition. How meaningful this comparison is, I'll admit is questionable.

At any rate, I bet they all take Mysticism 101, so even if they're not genuinely Illuminated, they can certainly mouth some of the approrpiate jargon. See Dilbert cartoons for further roleplaying tips. ;-) ("Impossible for most people, but I, Magebert, am a trained Illuminant!")

> My knowledge of Lunar history is slim, I am still reading up on in
> between the rest of my life, but i wonder if anyone has any good ideas
> for particular Saints - Jakaleeli? The Emperor himself?

They have their own (theist) cults, but they could prolly do doubleduty  as "Patron saints" too. Nick some likely-looking rune-spell they grant (or _ought_ to), and "adapt" it...

There are, it seems clear to me, going to be many, many more Saints than will ever get "cult" writeups, though, and perhaps some worshipped as Saints that don't get any theistic-mode worship at all.

[Theists]
> Would all of them, if illuminated (see above) be at least initiates of
> the Red Goddess?

Not all, but a pretty large chunk. (Note that the "extrance exam" does still seem rather stiff, even for someone completely qualified.) The RG's mode of worship isn't really "Theist" as such, though, and her magic, at least as described in RQ3 terms, isn't of direct use to a theist magical unit (though it makes their "personal magic" yet more nifty).

> would the skyburn count as this

Just an infeasibly large "Sunspear", essentially.

> The only trouble I can see is it trying turning into a (ducks and runs
> for cover) AD&D monk, or Ascetic (sp?) Brotherhood from WW...

You spelt that correctly: unlike EGG and FGS, on various notorious occassions. ;-) You're right, the most familiar RW (or fantasy) examples are orientalist, while that's not the Correct Model for Peloria. Though note that some of the Mysticism _does_ have links to Kralorela, but I don't think the connection is evident to the naked eye.

> there are still worshipers of Yelm in Dara Happa but I would have
> thought they would have been less than encouraged, like Orlanth..

No, not at all: Yelm is very much an _integral_ part of the Lunar Cosmos. The only Down Side to the Solar types is that a Nasty Minority (and there's always one who spoils it for all the rest!) of them have such naughty ideas as reinstating a previous Pure Yelmic line of imperial succession.

> Now thats a Rune level equivalent of Sunspear, if every I saw one.

I always thought that the Rune level equivalent of Sunspear was Sunspear, call be an unimaginative fool if you wish. ;-)

Slainte,
Alex.