High Noon

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:15:38 -0800

I have some questions for everyone about how the sun looks depending on where you are in Glorantha, having played around with a map, some blocks to represent various tall mountains and a flashlight. (And yes, I do have too much free time on my hands at work.)

1)Sunrise/Sunset: To an observer in the East Isles, the rising and setting of the sun must appear very different than it does in Prax, Sartar and certainly the far west. Right?

2)Noon: Or to say, that time of day when the sun is closest to being directly overhead and casts the shortest shadows would not be a constant concept, but totally dependent on where you are...earlier in the day the further east you are...with coresponding differences in daily temperatures and weather. Yes?

3)Shadows: Bendy light or no, if you live in Dragon Pass or any of a number of other places hard by some of the tall mountain ranges of Glorantha (or even not so hard) you aren't going to have nearly as much direct sunlight to grow your crops in and work under as you would in the RW. Heck, I could see that there might be some places north of the Big Giants or other really high places where the sun never actually shines at all. Or am I quite mad?

Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies