on elements & rings

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:37:03 -0800

>>> If the dark at night is elemental darkness, where does it came from?
>> And
>>> where does it go in daylight?

I wouldn't have thought that night is elemental darkness, or at least not pure elemental darkness which I would argue as being pretty much the same thing (as there's other things around such as air etc at the same time). I would suggest that the elements are paradigms (or actual definitions of themselves) of which there are more or less impure versions on Glorantha. Obviously high holy places of elemental forces would try to tend towards 100% - thinking of the Aristotelean premise of tending towards perfection

>Another point is that the reason why I asked this question resulted from
>the discussion on the (in)existance of time zones in Glorantha.

With transport being so slow, I would not have thought that people would notice. People in the RW didn't until the railway line from London to Bristol began to run (if I recall Tomorrow's World properly).

> Here are 2 other questions for those who enjoy these things ... Why is
>the sky blue?

It's not always, sometimes it's purple, sometimes it's grey. Remember the old proverb, red sky at night, Lunars are coming, red sky in the morning, you're within the Glowline, bud.

>Orlanth's Ring is out of the Sky for the first week of Sacred Time,
>and visible through the second week, leaving the Dome via Polestar
>on the first night of the subsequent new year.

Nah, the truth is that Orlanth's ring is only visible when he shows what he really thinks of Humakt (and a good thing too)

All hail the preaching loon

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #486