Re: Sky Dome

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 12:53:13 EST

Me: <<They don't need to know when it's high noon *at the time*, they only need to know how long after dawn high noon is in particular parts of the world. >>

Peter:

 <<Then they wouldn't _need_ to ask someone in Boldhome, would they? The  phenonmenon would be readily apparent when they placed the gnomon on a  sundial. >>

     True, so long as they know that things are different elsewhere in the world than they are where they live, and that Boldhome is half-way between the eastern and western edges of the world (or thereabouts). At any rate, my point is that *if* this is an accurate model for how the world works the calculation/experiment isn't all that hard to do.

Allen Wallace:
<<Pete Nash You are running the Glorantha that caught my interest.
You will probably be shot at by the mythic challenged but who cares. I'm sorry but Bendy Light and all such specious B.S. really does take the fun out of the whole thing.>>

     Well, each to their own, but I don't personally see how bendy light et al is incompatible with a real, solid Sky Dome, and nice big shiny Gates of the Dawn that you can actually visit. They enhance each other, IMO.

Jonathon Coxhead:

   <<I agree completely with Pete Nash on this one---the Sun Dome is a hemisphere that encloses Glorantha. So the radius is half the diagonal of the lozenge.>>

     Me too, the problem is that we don't actually know how big the Lozenge is. It's known to be a lot bigger than the 'Inner World', as you can see for example, from the map in the old RQ2 rulebook. My own guess is that the Lozenge and Sky Dome are about twice the diameter of the Inner World, but that's only a guess, nothing more, nothing less, and has no good evidence to back it up.

<<the circular Glowline around Tarsh>>

     AFAIK, the Glowline extends around the whole of the Empire, and is decidedly not circular.

<<This is ?Demosthenese? way of measuring the circumference of the earth: >>

    Eratosthenes. He used Cyrene and Alexandria as his locations. He also obtained good values for the tilt of the Earth's axis and produced the first world map with latitudes and longitudes marked on. He eventually went blind, and, unable to read any longer, committed suicide. :-(

Forward the glorious Red Army!

Trotsky