Ginna Jar, Leaving Cults, MindLink

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:45:17 +0000

Nick Brooke:

>>Ginna Jar

> Sorry, who was that last one on the list? I've heard stories, and
> seen statues, and read myths, about all of the others. But I don't
> seem to recall who this "Ginna Jar" is. Can you point me to one of
> "her" temples? one of "her" priests? one of "her" legends?
>
> Nope?
>
> But you're *sure* "she"'s a Dawnquester, right? You *do* know who
> "she" is, don't you?

In the same way that there are no stories about Splendid Yamsur but most Yelmic people know that he existed and was killed by Chaos. Ginna Jar also existed and took part in the DawnQuest.

Even if she did not physically take part, it could even be that the DawnQuestors had her Spirit with them or that they were inspired by Glorantha and this was a manifestation. Who knows?

Richard Ohlson:

> Just how serious is it to quit a cult? What all needs to be done to
> quit a cult like Humakt? Can people join for a year, for a certain
> goal, and then "Settle down?"

Depends on the cult. All cults have a casual level of membership - Lay Members - which means that you are tied loosely to the cult but can generally leave with no penalties. To partake more fully in the cult you need to become initiated in which case you tie yourself directly to the deity by giving a portion of your soul away. Leaving the cult as an initiate may be more difficult. If you leave on good terms, simply retiring, then you become an inactive member and show up on Soul Sight as "Inactive". If, however, you leave on bad terms, betraying cult principles or joining an enemy cult, then you are apostate and are generally hit by the Cult Spirits of Retribution. Often you are hounded by cult members as a traitor or splitter. People who actively opose the cult will be hit harder than people who simply leave on bad terms. Rune levels who leave generally find it harder than initiates, although really powerful Rune Levels can almost certainly dictate their own terms.

> In Humakt's case, would an ex-initiate be un-resurectable? Could
> they use table knives and swords? Would they be hunted down like
> treacherous dogs and carved into bite size bits?

An ex-initiate who simply retired and keeps his geases could use knives and swords with no problem. If he broke his geases then all his sowrds would shatter when he used them. If he opposed the cult then he would probably attract a number of Humakti who would invite him to a duel to the Death.

Of course, if he was an Iluminate he could leave with no mythical penalty but could still be hunted down by normal avengers.

Peter Metcalfe on Mind Link:

SEP:>cast at range 100m, then stays up until it runs out,
>wherever you are.

> Bollocks. Read the last sentence of the spell description: 'Mindlink
> remains in effect as long as the spell participants are within range
> of each other'.

Ah, but I prefer the RQ2 description which is far better.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #489