Imther material & NLG

From: Smith Harald C <smith.hc_at_mellon.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:57:00 -0500

Frederic Ferro asks:
Wasn't the Imther Pack refused by Chaosium? Why would Issaries, Inc publish what Chaosium vetoed? Or did I get the whole story wrong? IIRC, an Editorial of TotRM said the Imther Pack was the property of Avalon Hill and had been "de-gloranthized".

Peter Metcalfe notes:
I understood by 'de-gloranthized' to mean that the Imther background material was taken out and the adventures redone for a new background. This project was dropped later on and so I understand the material is still able to be used. I suspect that it wasn't the gloranthan material that was at fault but rather Chaosium & AH were manuveuring for a divorce of sorts.

Nick adds:
I think the "veto" was on (a) Avalon Hill producing a new (and damn good) Gloranthan product, and (b) Chaosium/Greg putting enough time into editing Harald's work to make sure it was so, back when the business relationship between AH and Chaosium was very poor and when the Stratelibri deal still seemed to be on. If that's so, "ImtherPak" would have been an entirely innocent casualty of the squabbles.... This is my uninformed opinion, and may well be wrong: I haven't talked about it to any of the people involved.

Nick and Peter are both largely correct in this matter. As the primary participant involved, I can clarify the situation from my end. When the material went to and was accepted by AH, Greg was at the point of trying to separate Glorantha from RuneQuest. Imther got caught in the middle of the struggle. There were some issues with scale that concerned Greg but I know he did not want to spend time working on something that AH would publish. So Imther was vetoed as a Gloranthan product.

Since I wanted to publish the material and it was unclear whether there would be a new Glorantha game at any time in the foreseeable future, I took the material out of its Glorantha setting and converted it to a unique
fantasy world. By the time that was ready, AH decided to produce its new Runequest and AH did not want to do anything with RQ3. AH did not extend a contract, so the material remains my property and exists in both Gloranthan and non-Gloranthan forms.

Greg has indicated that he has an interest in seeing the material published in the new game, but there is nothing definite on the table in this regard at the moment. I am working with Greg and others at this point on more historical and mythic background for southern Peloria with my particular focus on Vanch and Imther. This effort should provide a stronger foundation for the game material should it be published in the future.

I would note that some bits from the Imther pack found there way into New Lolon Gospels #1 & 2 (which are now officially out-of-print in the US and Europe--though there may still be copies out of Australia) and some more should find its way into #3 (which is slowly in process).

And on a separate note, I am changing jobs as of next week, so please address any correspondence to my home email: MarandHar_at_aol.com

Harald