Some replies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:14:02 +1200 (NZST)

K. Paul McDonald:

>1) The Riskland is composed of a mix of local Bilini tribesmen and
>exiles from across the Lunar Empire - especially Dragon Pass and
>Pavis. What are some of the differences between these Orlanthi
>cultures? I am under the impression that the Talastari have been
>influenced by the Dara Happan solar culture.

The Solar influence is strongest in Lakrene. The other peoples of Talastar (such as the Bilini) are traditional Orlanthi and are resistant to Lunar influences. They resemble your conservative Far Point tribe.

>They also may have a
>different spin on the Bright Empire and Nysalor than their Dragon Pass
>cousins, since Arkat's invasion was basically a huge disaster for
>them. The Dorastor suppliment does state that Illumination is
>considered a Bad Thing by the Talastari...

The Orlanthi in general detest Arkat. KoS states quite bluntly the Orlanthi don't care who won the final battle as both were bad in their own way.

>2) Although this is probably one of the Unanswerable Questions...
>Anyone have opinions of the Wolfbear prophesy?

Harrek the Berserk is a Wolf Pirate. The cover of the Genertela boxed set shows him and some dork fighting a Broo with a Scorpion Arm. Apart from noting that the Broo will be atomised into fine paste six seconds after the picture was drawn, Dorastor mentions an infamous Broo called Ralzakark of the Scorpion Arm.

Unfortunately this nice neat picture is ruined by the information that one Oddi the Keen is the slayer of Ralzakark and ilk. So Greg may have been thinking one time that Ralzakark was slain by Harrek before gregging himself.

So a suitable question for the Vogon to ask at the Lore Auction would be:

What, if any, is the relationship between Harrek and the Wolfbear of Dorastor.

>3) How about the Hero Wars future history?

Described in Lords of Terror on page 11. A tragic doom that bought tears to my eyes.

>What are all those Arkati
>in Ralios up to that would impact the Risklanders?

The Arkati are too busy killing each other off in attempt to bring about the Dark Empire. If they were organized, then they would have to plow through Dorastor to reach the Risklands. Thus the Risklanders have little to worry from that quarter.

>What about Charg?

This will mainly impact on Carmania.

David Dunham:

>> Why not call the [Malkioni of Umathela] Sedalpists?

>The thought crossed my mind, but I have intimations that not all of the
>Malkioni are actually Sedalpists.

I recognize that which is why I acknowleged the term to be generally true (ie not all Malkioni are Sedalpists only most of them).

>After all, Cerngoth has an alliance with
>the elves, which would seem to go against Sedalpist doctrine.

OTOH it may not. He may simply recognize Elves as subhumans and encourage them to ravage Fonrit. If the elves are victorious then he can use his special magics to do them in. If the Fonritans are victorious then he is screwed because he is forbidden from killing humans.

>Also, it's my
>understanding that the ruler of Tortrica worships pagan storm gods.

Probably a henotheist Sedalpist IMO combining the faith of the Sedalpi and the barbarians.

>(Sure, not everyone is a good follower of their faith, but I get to define
>the terms here, so I'm trying to make things less confusing. I think it's
>easier if Sedalpist has a religious meaning and not a cultural one.)

Okay considering that we have a Rokari faith for the Seshnegi and a Hrestoli faith for the Loskalmi.

Some suggestions: