Living with magic

From: JeffJErwin <JeffJErwin_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 18:29:43 EST

One thing I've been pondering recently is the divergence of our 'real world' with Glorantha. This came up before in regards to Gloranthan materialism, but not in a fully explicated fashion.
1) If the gods are apparent and mundane (i.e. not miraculous as Hume has it), religion is an obvious route; -but- here's where I have trouble. Religion in whatever culture in Earth is a faith/belief structure, sometimes incorporating a systemic attempt to explain the world and sometimes being more a philosophy. The crucial division between religious faith and world-view is that the first is obviously a 'leap of faith' lacking a firm foundation in anything observed, possibly inculcated by cultural stuff, or possibly self-derived... but in Glorantha, the initiate has good reason to believe in the god. There is no struggle between common sense and spiritual desires... they are one and the same.
How is this not antiethical to the 'mystery' inherent in religious belief? I ask this because the model for Cults in Glorantha is obviously Earthly religions and sects. But there (on Earth) the religions most relevent to Glorantha, the magical religions, exist on the knife-edge of unknowable and visible. Take Voodoo for an example, where the startling and the secret are infused with both mundane trickery (herbal, etc.) and real belief. I guess in a sense the Godplane and stories provide such things, but there still remains the problem of dividing the believer from the casual participant. Systemizing a vision quest, for example, may deprive the experience of its unique and irrational qualities. 2) Magic in Glorantha is very available. In a sense, Spirit or Battle Magic is almost a magic of gadgets. Yet Gloranthan society is still in our sense primitive. Assumptions, tacitly, have been made that the average person is poor and that lifespans are short. This is a carryover from the Bronze age milieu, but is this accurate for such a magically adept society? Why shouldn't the average farmer or city prole be as convenience-wealthy as Western poor (TVs, toilets, sanitary water, etc.)?
These are just some ideas that were troubling me, and I thought I'd masticate them in public here. Moo.

Jeff Erwin