Humakt and Free Willed gods

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:11:58 -0400

> I wondered why Humakti did not oppose resurrection in others. Then I
> found I couldn't figure out whether they opposed undead and why?
>
> Sure, they don't want to become undead, or resurrected, but why do they
> care what happens to other people?

Both are trying to cheat Death. Things that are dead are not supposed to move around like living things, and are supposed to stay dead. Undead are breaking both of these rules. Resurrectees only break the second.

The undead are usually easier to kill than most Resurrectionists, because the cults that can do Resurrection are often otherwise somewhat friendly to Humakti, and even Humakti don't LIKE to kill their friends. Nonetheless, there are fanatical Humakti (Lead Cross Questors, frex) who will dispose of either with equal willingness.

Also, for those who support the Humath-Arkat theory, Arkat fought against the Vampire Lords of Tanisor after he became a Knight. I don't know for certain what would have made him so anti-resurrection, unless it was mythically necessary to gain better magical touse against Nysalor.

> If Humakt answered a DI call to
> resurrect someone (and word got out) then it would severely shake
> Humakti faith. So he ain't gonna do it - even if he could.

It would change it (into something like a de-Lunarized Yanafal Tarnils, or a non-Storm Humath). It would also separate the God from the Death Rune (or the power field that theists see as the Rune, as God Learners would probably state it), so that He (assuming that there IS a mind behind this "free will") would be weakened for little gain. The cult would gain a rare benefit, but lose access to their most deadly magics.

OTOH, I see nothing to prevent a free-willed Humakt from developing an interest in dancing and choreography like Polaris did (except that most Swords would look fairly silly until they got their skills built up). In fact, that seems to have occurred for Polaris, who spent the Darkness Ages as one of the cross-cultural heroic defenders against the Darkness, and probably Chaos, as well (I have no data on that, though), and then became associated with Choreographic Dance, before the Lunars changed his emphasis again to make him into God of Strategy and Logistics. Oddly, the Pelorians don't seem to believe in a Compromise, or Gods lacking free will. Hmm, I wonder if there is a connection...