Re: Humakti Attitudes

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:03:32 +0100

Joerg (writing pp. Evil Personified) suggests:

> The leader's senility through a late Resurrection can be a better
> weapon against an enemy clan than to kill off the leader; one might
> even provide one's own healer to make up for the inconvenience.

Illuminate. Kill him!

> Too bad that Humakti don't like resurrectees, and would most likely
> have them fail in their applications more often than others.

I'm not sure about that. The fact that a person, having been resurrected once, joins the only cult which *guarantees* that they will never be resurrected again, is pretty good propaganda for the cult, innit? I suspect Humakti wouldn't be biased one way or another. Can he hold a sword? And is he ready to die?

Richard asks:

> What about Cacodemon? Crimson Bat (ok, it flies)? Isn't there a great
> big pumpkin in Dorastor which is also worshipped?

All Chaos thingies, thus known rule-violators. All hideously bound and constrained by their involvement in mundane affairs, no matter how you slice it.

> I suppose one should also mention Yelm. I mean he certainly makes an
> appearance every day, even if there isn't much free will involved.

Wrong. Unless you're also going to mention Aldrya (trees), and Orlanth (winds), and Kero Fin (that *really big* mountain over there), and the Old Hare in Greydog lands, and Pavis in his temple, and Moonson in his palace, and Sartar in his flame...

Besides, all of the Chaos nasties referred to in nit-pick #1 act in remarkably consistent ways, killing crushing and destroying their foes (albeit with niggles: Hungry Jack the Chaos Pumpkin lures them in; Cacodemon can manifest one of his Fiends to do the dirty work for him, the Crimson Bat now obeys orders from its Lunar masters). How, precisely, do they exhibit a degree of Free Will which Yelm or Orlanth lacks?

> Humakti dont't mind spirits hanging around the place (do they?) ... is it
> only when you stick one onto an old body that they object?

Old paradigm. Not all spirits are disembodied dead people. Humakti (rather perversely IMO) don't even mind the ghosts of dead Humakti hanging around, when there's some kinda Divine Purpose to it.

> AFAIU Skeletons and Zombies don't have spirits in them (POW only 1 -
> I'm referring to RQ2 here) - so why the big deal? Or is it that they
> just don't like the abuse of the body?

Bingo! Check out Rule #2 of the cult: no mucking around with corpses.

Also, some Zombies do have spirits in them, though details are lost in the RQ3/Glorantha glitched interface. I suspect troll ZZ zombies, for starters.

> If so, how do Humakti feel about Wraiths and Ghosts - as opposed to free
> spirits?

Should be dead. Kill 'em.

> Am I trying to look too deeply into this? :-)

Nope. Carry on. There aren't any "trick questions" here.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>