More Resurrection stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:48:39 +0100 (BST)

Simon Hibbs calculates numbers of resurrections and Healers...
> The usual ratio of priests to laymen that I have come across is about 2%
> of the population.
> [...] That leaves 0.1% of the population in the CA cult,
> or one person in a thousand.

Seems a tad high to me, I must admit. Though of course if must be said that frequency of Chalana membership does not necessarily correspond to frequency of CA _priestesses_. There are fewer (if any) "casual" initiates of CA, and She obviously receives much associate (or p*ntheon, if you insist on swearing in church) relative to her own initiates than is the case for, say, Ernalda, to take a fairly extreme comparison.

> I can't see the average CA priestess performing as many as one
> resurrection a year - more like one every 5 years.

That, though, is a pretty low rate, if one is taking the RQ description at face value. (I'm losing track of who is, and who ain't, in this discussion...)

Neil Robinson seeks evidence that resurrection is Difficult and Rare.

> Now, somewhere I read (sorry, I'm at work) that to perform a
> resurrection, you either need 7x7 (49 people) or 7x7x7 (243 people)
> in the ceremony.

Sounds like a reference to the KoS about "the formulaic 7x7x2 participants" (p. 255), which seems to be a more of an apologia for the RQ temple size rules, rather than the number needed in the _resurrection_ ceremony.

If people think that the RQ spell is too easy/cheap, then I suggest they just play it accordingly. De gustibus, etc. (BTW, at least in the case of CA High Healers with RQ+Rune Power (in unadulterated form), I'd agree with 'em.) To wit, either not in RQ at all, which defines the objection out of existence, or by just tweaking the spell to taste. For example, one could make it a non-reusable spell for High Healers, and pretty much nigh-unavailable otherwise (apart from Yelm's Resurrect Self and other mythicly-necessary cases, of course), and/or just more expensive. (I wonder how many 7 Mums cultists there are bouncing around the Provinces with their Resurrections...)

I don't disagree with statements about the Questy nature of Resurrection, but this asks more questions than it answers, from a petty-fogging game-mechanical PoV.

Slainte,
Alex.