Dreams

From: Kaselov-Sandberg <md24855_at_dredd.swipnet.se>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:01:48 +0200

Jane (and Joerg) writes about dreams:

> Now, have you read Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series? If
so, think
> about Tel'aran'rhiod. There's the HeroPlane, complete with
mechanics
> (sort of), descriptions of what it feels like, how spells work
(or
> don't), the dangers of being followed, travelling by following
"need"
> (i.e. the plot) - loads of stuff! It can't just be carried
over into
> Glorantha, I'm sure, but it's a good starting point.

Personally I was not completely satisfied with that dreamworld. It was too easy to use like some super-efficient mobilephone net...

But, always hunting for ideas on what function the shaman fulfills in Orlanthi society, I rememberd these snippets from "Glorantha book" in "Genertela...":
"The Spirit Plane is also the place where lost souls drift, where _broken dreams wander_, and where _nightmares_ feast." (p 13) And (on Luathela): "Therein are the blood-red Gates of Dusk, where dwells sorrowful Rausa, and from whence come _the dreams_ that plague madmen and poets."

So, more than the Godplane, maybe we should look to the Spirit Plane for the places where dreams become real. That would also take us away from the grey, featureless, foggy nothingness the Spirit Plane has been described as. I envision the Spirit Plane as a place where the grey fog rolls, yes. But also as a place where junctions and knots manifests as compact dream scenes (the broken dreams), much as the room with the red curtains and the Black Lodge from Twin Peaks.

Maybe this is a way for a bad shaman to curse a person. They enter the nightmares or the dream fragments of a sleeping person, manipulate them, scares them, etc, and the person carries this with him into the waking world. He would appear haunted, and red-eyed from lack of calm sleep. What to do with him? Better take him to wise man up in the mountains. Gir the Kolating maybe can do something for him.

Patrik
kaselov.sandberg_at_swipnet.se