Re: RQ Sight take 2

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 22:32:56 +0100

Frank writes:

> I suggested that Illumination was similar to RuneQuest sight and should
> expect the same fate in the long run. In other words I expect the 'rules
> of magic' to change so that the perspective becomes useless, or rather,
> harmless.

RuneQuest Sight apparently arrived early in the Second Age and was utterly eradicated at the end of that Age. Illumination, on the other hand, arrived at the climax of Godtime (when Yelm was Illuminated in Hell), and has survived (and occasionally flourished, under Nysalor, the Lunars, and arguably various Kralori empires) ever since. The "rules of magic" are taking an awfully long time, in this instance.

Possibly Illumination is inherent to Glorantha, and not a weird extreme at all. While it's common for Orlanthi symps to see Illumination as a chaos manifestation, something strange and exotic that only becomes manifest through a breach of the Great Compromise, this is obviously far from being the truth.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>