Hero Wars Review, part 3: Character/World Development

From: Charles Domino <cdomino_at_wt.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:35:04 -0500

This is the 3rd part of my review of the Hero Wars system: Character Development. As before, I warn you I am a simulationist, not a roleplayer.

Players start the adventure with one Plot Point. Further plot points can be earned during action resolutions by rolling exactly the T#. A plot point can be used to modify the sucess level of the die roll (not the roll itself, just the level), or it can be saved until the end of the adventure. Plot points can be spent between adventures to gain new abilities or enhance old ones. It is even possible to develop a new ability in mid-adventure, then decide later whether to keep it, or let it become one of those Star Trek one-in-a-million things that never happens again (because Gene Rodenberry isn't around to keep the script writers consistant!)

Er, anybody played Torg lately? Robin denied any knowledge of that game and said other similar ones were out there... I suppose a certain amount of duplication is to be expected in games--I mean with the exception of Amber, they all involve die rolling! BTW, Robin and Stafford both stated emphatically that the system would never be made diceless, though Robin said they might remove the resolution charts in favor of a simpler system devised by someone at Chaosium (not specified).

Going back to the World:

Regarding the magic, the new Sorcery rules work through packages, which include the social contest of the school, social and political restrictions, and affinities. Each form has it's own ritual preparations (necessary for larger castings), and the magic effects are scalable from individual to army size.

The world campaign starts in 1622, just before the Hero Wars kick off. There is no support for different time periods, but the fan network is encouraged to do as they will. What order the later clusters will be printed in is still open.

Other stuff:

Greg Stafford has a real character-driven novel set in Glorantha almost ready. Robin stated he'd read it and "it kicks ass!"

The minitures rules/lines were shot down due to problems on the manufacturer end--it turned out they didn't have the capital they thought they had. I noticed what seemed to be some in-jokes about this. However, I played in two
player-designed minature games set in RQ (but easily portable to other worlds): Dogs of War, and Red Devestation, and liked both.

End, part 3