Elmali at the Hill of Gold.

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 15:41:14 +0100

Thomas Gottschall:

>when an Elmal worshipper does the Hill of Gold HQ (probably
>a weaker form of it as initiation) he loses his fire powers
>if he succeeds in the quest (meaning he does like his god
>did). But what does he gain ? Just nothing ?

Peter Metcalfe :

>An Elmali does not lose fire powers because the Elmali do not
>have fire powers. I assume however that the Elmali goes up
>the hill to retrieve the Spark of Life to bring back to his
>local community (parallels with the Aztec ceremony is intended
>here).

This came up at length in germany and Sandy gave a fascinating answer. I hope he chips in, but in the absence of that I'll just repeat what I remember.

Aparently if a Yelmalion completes the hill of gold quest they do actualy lose their fire powers in the sense that everyone has fire powers. The Yelmalion can nolonger light a flame, for example using 'flint and steel' or whatever equivalent technique is usualy used - even if he puts a candle to another candle it will refuse to light. Before going on the quest the yelmalion could concievably learn the ignite spell or fireblade spell, afterwards he can _never_ learn or use these or any other fire spells.

The prize that yelmalions gain from the Hillof Gold is immortality. Fire powers or immortality - you decide.

Simon Hibbs