Re: Simulationist/Dramatist vs InCharacter/Actor

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 16:41:59 EDT

George Harris:

         <<It is for this reason that I read the preliminary reports on Hero Wars with some apprehension, as I very much enjoy the experience of immersing myself into character and would prefer that GMs who wish to tell a story stick to that rather than running role-playing games...>>

      I'd have to agree that Robin's idea of what constitutes an enjoyable gaming experience appears different in many ways from my own. The question is whether the final draft of the rules will compel players to adopt a 'cinematic' or 'heroic fantasy fiction' style of game rather than a more enjoyable one (from my POV). Those who do enjoy 'cinematic' gaming are clearly well catered for already (and I disagree with your comment that they ought to stick to telling stories - let 'em do whatever they want, I say) - but will Hero Wars leave those Gloranthaphiles who don't out in the cold?

    Well, I doubt it - the talk of optional rules and of the changes being instituted to the combat and magic rules sound encouraging in this regard and it seems likely that those of us who would resist a 'Conan-isation' of Glorantha will still find plenty to enjoy in the new system without having to create reams of house-rules.

     If not, it doesn't greatly worry me personally since I'm not a huge fan of RQ anyway, so I'll only be moving from not-using-RQ-to-game-in-Glorantha to not-using-HW-to-game-in-Glorantha. It would be disappointing, sure - I was really expecting to like this game (and still hope that I will), but it would be worth it for the new background material! So long as that too doesn't emphasise the 'heroic' Conanised stuff over that with more roleplaying potential :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky