The Perfecti

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:02:45 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

Me>> IMO the traditions of the Perfecti and the Cult of Silence
>> are the local mystical cults.

>The Cult of Silence would obviously be mystical, yes,

To be candid, nobody knows whether this is correct outside the Cult. 'Are you a mystical cult? Yes or No. Well? I'm waiting. speak up...'

>but the Perfecti as a whole? I doubt it. They strike me as being, instead,
>quintessentially dogmatic in their beliefs. Not that mysticism and dogma
>are *absolutely* incompatible, provided the dogma itself transcends
>ordinary logic (which has the side-effect of making it unacceptable to
>the logical mind).

I fail to see why the rejection of the dogma of the Hrestoli as being harmful to one's spiritual welfare entails that the Perfecti must be dogmatic. I think they would argue that complying with the dictates of the so-called Ideal State of the Hrestoli hinders their spiritual development. Since their chosen path to a state of grace is Martyrdom, it follows that they must attain their mystical status by passive resistance (and consequent martyrdom) to the so-called Ideal State.

Secondly, the Perfecti came about after their founder, a Hrestoli Missionary, was imprisioned in Umathela along with some members of the Cult of Silence. By following their practicies (to wit: Silence), he attained his spiritual insight.