FW: The Glorantha Digest V5 #675

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:45:00 -0400

Richard asked:

>Are there any characteristics which are true of all nomad tribes
(beasts
>plus herders) which identifies them as being part of the waha pact?

It sounds kind of trite but the major indicator that a new tribe was part of the
Waha pact would be the fact that they worship Waha. Modern day Praxians know the names of the extinct beasts so it might be difficult to persuade
them you belong unless you were actually a resurrected tribe. There are also wall paintings of pact members in art least one place in Prax.

>Asked another way, imagine a tribe of giraffe riders suddenly appeared
>out of the wastes, claiming that they were a resurrected lost tribe,
>what sort of practices would this new tribe have which identified them
>as a Waha tribe (IYSWIM) and what practives would they definately not
>have?

>I can only think that they would kill their giraffes with peaceful cut
>and eat them (i.e. the giraffes would not eat the men - unless they're
>newly discovered morokanth like tribe).

I believe that Praxians kill most animals using the Peaceful Cut, well at least
anything they'd eat since otherwise the animals spirit wouldn't be reborn.
This wouldn't hold true for taboo critters like horses since Praxians would be
happy if there were less of them.

I think the primary way they would have to prove they were members of the
pact would be:

  1. worship of Waha
  2. ability to summon a clan founder
  3. ride/herd some animal that wasn't immediately recognizable as taboo.

It'd probably help if they worshipped at least some of the rest of the Praxian
pantheon; Eritha, Foundchild and maybe Storm Bull.

That's my two bits worth.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/realm/5545 bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca