Language and Arkat

From: tom.zunder_at_avestasheffield.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 11:39:42 +0000

     Languages
=20

     Hey! I would like to suggest that some 'one true way' is creeping in=20
     here. MGF dictates that you're both right and that only in the context=
=20
     of the game can the truth be hinted at. Inclusive, missionary and=20
     imperialist cultures will probably suggest that there is a root to it=20
     all, exclsuive, tribal and insular cultures (most of Glorantha) will=20
     probably scream 'God Learner' and burn the above named heretic.

=20
Of course above named heretic may have a demon between his thighs in=20 which case..
=20
Could we have fewer normative statements?
=20
Arkati Illumination
=20
I find the discussion about Arkati illumination fascinating since it=20 begins to make the cult more and more like a mystery cult. It is in=20 some senses in that initiates begin with an abiding desire to drive=20 out and destroy the Deceiver, and as they progress they begin to pick=20 up and assemble a greater arsenal of skills, wepaons, magic and=20 knowledge. What does for them is that eventually they step one step=20 too far and wake up one day realising 'Oh dear, it's all become very=20 clear now..'
=20
Given that a core of Arkati are illuminated, they will then become=20 Deceivers, leading the unilluminated gently to the truth (as they see=20 it). I very much doubt that this can be overt or in any way=20 institutionalised. I see the Arkati as a very cynical and macho cult=20 with a surprisingly soft centre. Rather like the CIA or MI6. 'Well of=20 course the Soviets/Chinese/Iraquis are the enemy, but on the other=20 hand if it wasn't for them...'
=20