Tim's questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:16:42 +1200 (NZST)

>From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>

>Gbaji - In Nick & Sandy's marathon Q&A, Sandy tells the audience
>"Nysalor didn't curse the trolls, but you know that anyway" and Nick
>resoponds "Absolutely, they brought it on themselves" - Can anyone
>elucidate on this for me, 'cos I am stuck with the Uz-centric Trollpak
>view that Gbaji did curse the trolls, or is it just another semantics
>argument (It wasn't Nysalor that cursed them at all, he is a good,
>enlightened god, it was that wicked deceiver, Gbaji that did all those
>bad things)

The story goes that the Uz made themselves barren when they summoned the Black Eater. Nysalor partially cured them of this but since the Uz were ignorant* of the Black Eater's curse in the first place, they remember the event as Nysalor cursing them.

*well perhaps the Uzuz knew the full consequences of what they were doing but they probably figured that the Black Eater was worth the exitinction of their loyal Uzko. But they didn't count on the Black Eater getting fried at the battle of Night and Day.

>Cragspider - [...] (Is it possible to undergo the [Kyger Litor] ritual
>[of Rebirth] a second time? or for a Dark Troll to use it to become
>Mistress Race, or a Trollkin to improve their lot?)

It is possible from the case of Arkat:

        'Kwaratch Kwang offered Arkat the relief and rescue he needed,
        and he lead the human into the well of creation to be reformed,
        as had been done before, and then Garazaf Hyloric chanted her
        awesome spells to make Arkat be born of her, anew into the known
        world, a Mistress Race Troll'.
                                Uz Lore p17.

However why Uz in general do not heroquest to become Uzuz (or how to reconcile this account with the eyewitness account of Arkat's birth in Troll Gods) are different questions altogether.

Lastly, trollkin do undergo a ritual of rebirth when initiated into Kyger Litor which is good enough for them as their lot in life is vastly improved by becoming initiated.