Lunarized Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:22:27 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I have seen next to nothing about Orlanthi
>in the (established) Lunar Provinces, and how they combine worship of
>Orlanth with worship of the Seven Mothers. (Evidently they do - King Rascius
>of Aggar or King Bolthor Hairybreeks of Talastar don't seem to have any
>principal problem with that.)

Or Faltikus the Good, the allegedly illuminated Storm Voice of Pavis.

My guess is that Lunar Orlanthi rationalize it by saying that since the Red Goddess won at Castle Blue, her existance in glorantha is normal. The recently mentioned Secret of the Second Son (with dire warnings about its dramatic insight) may impact on this but since Christians, Jews and Manicheans were able to live under the aegis of the Roman Empire despite holding incompatible tenets of faith, I still think a modus vivendi is possible for the Orlanthi in such a case. Naturally the more conservative Orlanthi mistake this for illumination.

DW#28 gives population breakdowns of two Lunar Provinces. There it is stated that 'Lunars' compose 50% of the population in Aggar and 80% of the population in Tarsh. The remants are composed of 'Orlanthi'. However given the recent material about Peloria makes states that most people in Peloria are still worship their traditional dieties, I do not think it likely that the most of the 'Lunars' of Tarsh and Aggar are Seven Mothers cultists who sneer at Orlanth.

It is my belief that most of the people included in the group 'Lunar' are Orlanthi who have been partially lunarized. They would partake in state ceremonies under the aegis of the Provincial Church but still pray to Orlanth and Ernalda. Only a staunch few (like Fazzur Wideread, Prince Orontes and other Tarshite characters in 'Tarsh War') appear to be thoroughly lunarized and even then clan loyalties are very influential. IMO most of the soldiers of the Bagnot Militia would worship Orlanth or have been initiated into him. A good RW parallel would be the rank-and-file of the Warsaw Pact forces. They are officially atheist but still have some links with their native church.