Barntar vs. Lodril

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:08:53 +0200

Jeff Richard:

> anyone who is a
> agricultural farmer is a Lodrilli or a rebel.

This is an interesting generalisation, which might even work. So, we'd have snotty-nosed English character actor/Megacorp types disregarding ALL muck-rackers, whatever their Province and local mucky Fertility Cult? Sounds good to me !!

> In areas where an Orlanthi
> population have been effectively conquered by Dara Happans (and I can
> really think of only three such places - Terarir, northern Vanch and Dara
> Ni/Lakrene), Lodril worship has been imposed-incorporated-whatever.
> However Lodril is not a jealous god and will gladly take anyone's worship.
> His resentment and hatred has always been focused on his overlords - the
> haughty Dara Happans.

hmmmm : ... more of the above ...

> Another reason that there isn't conflict between Lodrilli peasants and
> Barntar carls is that they represent different agricultural techniques that
> exist to work different soils.

Disagree (Although the soil types, and farming techniques would indeed be different as so brilliantly suggested). I think that the key difference is in whichever magical technique is used to foster Male Fertility upon the Earth goddess. Soil types are IMO more consequences than causes of religious divergence in the Empire. (contrary to RW !!) (This is Ernalda switching sexual attributes for whomever pleases her presently)

> The Lodrilli of northern Peloria use a
> Heavy Plow that requires an 8 to 16 ox communal team! [Note that this
> requires a herd of 50-100 cattle just to maintain!] An oxen team is beyond
> the resources of single families and is the principle reason why northern
> Pelorian agriculture is communally-based.
>
> The Theyalans use a light plow requiring a 4-ox team. It is far more
> effective than the Heavy Plow for the soils of southern Peloria and Dragon
> Pass. This plow is sacred to Barntar.

My !! What excellent nosh !!

> The divide between these agricultural techniques can and has been drawn out
> on a map. Draw a line from Tork to the southeastern Yolp Mountains, with
> Jillaro and Bikhy being just on the southern edge of the line. North of
> the line, the "Pelorian" agricultural technique dominates, south of the
> line is the "Barntar" agricultural technique.

But I don't think that such a line can be so decisively drawn in Genertela, simply because of the ongoing struggle in the Empire between the Red Goddess and Valind (as an avatar of Storm). Except as a single arbitrary moment of climactic history, of course. Such a line would flow back and forth according to the relative fortunes of the Sun and the Storm. (Much HQ involved - -.. )