Unreliable reports & RQ2 up for grabs

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:35:14 +0100

 the prices for items fetched in the
>auction I can summerise my reply to this statement in one word;
>
>Bollocks!!!!

But, to be fair Duncan, it was you who bought most of it!!! ;) (With some able assistance in the form of Simon Hibbs).

Wot I Dun at Convulsion:

Damn, I knew I wouldn't make it past the jackbooted guards at the entry checkpoint, being pulled aside & marched off to a locked room upstairs. Fortunately it was to learn how to be a demonstrator for Hero Wars (along with two other regulars from us northern mob). Now even an old cynic like me can occasionally cast of the shackles of doubt & sarcasm to say that Robin's rules system is really rather good. (There's a few nit picky points that I discovered in playtesting, that I'll go into in a different digest). The system itself (bearing in mind we only received a partial set of rules) is actually generic, but it's really easy to slip into any campaign system. The character sheet's minimal, the combat tables fit on a page and there's a more or less infinite amount of skills (called abilities) a character can have. Good roleplayers can really go to down with this system, well done.

Other highlights for me must be Lawrence Whitaker's ham acting in the MOLAD tournament before being murdered as he was about to reveal the Godlearner's Secret. (During our 'rehearsal' Greg said something along the lines of I might as well tell you what the secret is anyway... but changed his mind). Pete Nash's reason to be chosen as the hero of Esrolia made me feel quite inadequate, also.

I didn't manage to play in any of the freeforms, so I can't comment on them, and I missed most of the panels, but the HQ playtests were a hoot (F'rex the Storm Voice's response to the mother of one of his three 'brides to be' as she confronted him with being a slapper, basically, was 'So?')

The auction was fun, although I missed out on all bar one of the Cthulhu supplements I wanted (Terror from the stars, Masks of Nyarlathotep, Shadow of Yog Sothoth, if anyone out there's got them), and apparently it made a decent wedge for the con (Although I still think the copies of WBRM were cheap at c35 each).

All in all, great fun, and I only needed a day to recover

Danny 'more of a Lada than a Volkswagen' Bourne

PS Colin, thanx for the email - I agree 100%

On a different tack, a guy I know has now decided to start selling off what RQ2 he has. He's got Pavis & Big Rubble up for sale. He's a money grabbing old so & so, so his idea is the first person who puts up an offer he likes, gets it. He hasn't got an email address, so send to mine & I'll pass it on. I'm also looking to stick some more money in the bank so I'm putting Rough Guide to Boldhome, Procedings in Malkionism , Report on Fall of Boldhome & RQCon Compendium up for grabs if anybody's interested.

Ta raa!