Materialism in Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:08:58 +1200 (NZST)

Sergio Mascarenhas:

>First, what is materialism in Glorantha? It seems to me that it's all that
>we consider materialism in RW terms plus magic that has materialistic
>effects (meaning physical manifestations).

>In that sense, sorcery is materialistic, but spirit magic and divine magic
>(in RQ terms) are also definitively materialistic.

You are on the wrong track. Materialism refers to the philosophy or viewpoint that creates the effect in question.

A Materialist does X and creates effect Y.

A Shaman horsetrades with Spirit X and gets effect Y.

A Theist prays to God X and is rewarded with effect Y.

A Mystic trys to reach the ineffable state of Z. If he fails, he gets effect Y. As a result his attachment to X is increased which he sees as a Bad Thing.

X and Y are materialy observable things. But a materialistic philosophy is not the only way to understand them.

>What is not materialistic is all that we would consider meta-physical in RW
>terms. I suppose that that applies to mysticism and to monotheism a la
>Invisible God or Arachne Solara.

The existance of the Invisible God is provable in Glorantha. Even the Brithini acknowlege his existance. Therefore he is no more metaphysical than the existance of quarks in the RW.

>What is odd to me is why are Malkioni considered materialistics? Because
>they practise sorcery?

Because their worldview is constructed on the basis of provable concepts. They interpolate from easily proven concepts and then go on to prove the interpolations. By this method, they have proved the existance of the Invisible God and that is how they attempt to reach him.