Glorantha, RQ & HW

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:59:17 +0100

Simon:
>>Unless you're playing Hero Wars, in which case this statement
>>is meaningless.

Sergio:
>This is where this discussion ends. I thought you were discussing
>the matter in a fair basis, but now I recognize you're just kiding with
>me or faming for flame sake:

All Simon is saying is that the RQ game mechanics do not represent discreet and identifiable facets of Glorantha. That has been a premise of the Glorantha list for years, that RQ game mechanics do not rule Glorantha.

>"You play RQ (the only game system designed with Glorantha in mind so
>far) in Glorantha and use POW and MPs? That's not Glorantha!"

RQ was not designed for Glorantha, but Greg Stafford and Steve Perrin (the inventor of the system) used it for it. And Avalon Hill abstracted it away from Glorantha. RQ2 had 95% chance of spirit spell success, RQ3 had POWx5. Which to you represents literal gloranthan fact? Do Gloranthans call Jump a Manipulation skill, or an Agility skill? I guess by your rules it must be a Manipulation skill, 'cos RQ2 (and thus Glorantha) has no Agility category.

Look at the stats for the Gloranthan heroes in Wyrm's Footprints, they are all DnD stats.

http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
Any view of things that is not strange is false