Re: HW miscellany

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 17:35:03 +0100 (BST)

rick pim, about AP betting strategies:
> still, one has to ask: if there's an optimal strategy (and it appears
> that there may well be one), why bother with the betting mechanism?

That would not be an unreasonable question. However, often it will doubtless come down to more prosaic reasons: "I need to finish this guy off quick, before <other nasty stuff> happens", or some such.

> (obglorantha -- an uz sends in a swarm of enlo.) [...]
> - if the APs haven't been reset, the PCs are _tougher_.
> - if the APs have been reset, they're certainly no weaker.

Perhaps this is more an issue to do with renewability or otherwise of magical resources, that being the Official Reason for using enlo soakage, IIRC. That was an area I had some reservations about myself, based on Robin's comments at Convulsion, but as I haven't seen the rules that do (or don't) cover that, I won't rush to judgement. (Any more than I can help, at least.) Certainly it seems that there's scope for one-off magics, which was my biggest initial concern.

Slainte,
Alex.