Non-malkioni materialists

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:14:02 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

>An interesting (I hope) flip side to this is of course that the
>Malkioni are not the only Materialists in Glorantha. [...]
>Another case are the Dayzatari (or the Buseri, not clear which
>term is the More Correct in this context).

I have strong reservations about saying the Starseers are materialists. The Dayzatar flunkies are stated in Enclosure #1 to be out-and-out ascetics which elsewhere is described as being a mystical practice.

The Buserium are associated with writing and scribecraft as well as celestialogy but this is not hard evidence that they are materialists. Lhankor Mhy also has similar interests but nobody suggests that the Grey Sages are Materialists.

FWIW the mode of Buseri worship is stated as being 'Adoration' which generally involves 'mass ceremonies led by holy people dedicated to some specific life giving and conciousness raising purpose. They usually involve music, dance and other trance inducing practices, hence their title as "ecstatic".'

This does conjure visions of astronomers trying to space out on wacky baccy while listening to the theme music for 2001. So although they deny the stars are gods (according to GRoY), it seems to me that they denying the stars are humanoid divinities.