Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #32

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:50:49 -0700

>> You've been very direly misinformed if you've gotten that impression.
>> I've now seen parts of the first four Issaries manuscripts: An
>> Introduction to Glorantha, Hero Wars, Sartar, and The Orlanthi
>> Player's Guide. A very agressive publication schedule has been set out
>> for the first two years, and the first score or so books have been
>> planned. I'd say the future of Glorantha, as laid out by Issaries,
>> looks brighter than it has at just about any other time in the last 20
>> years. No hyperbole there either. This is going to be real cool.
>
>Ok, that sounds wonderful, but how exactly is what you're saying any
>different than Chaosium touting Dorastor and Masters of Luck and Death
>way back when? What is this fundamental change in Chaosium that is going
>to make the results different this time around? Sorry to be harsh, but
>(revisionist history on the Digest aside), Chaosium has proved to be
>just as poor at producing timely RQ/Glorantha product as AH ever was...

Incorrect.

Chaosium published RuneQuest from 1978 to 1983, a total of 6 years. During that time period they came out with 23 distinct books + 6 reprints/new-editions of some of those books + somewhere around 10 issues of a supporting magazine (RQ support started in 5 or 6 of WF). That ranges between 4 and 6.5 products a year, depending on how you count it, a very respectable number

That some products were announced and never saw print is sad, but you really can't say Chaosium had a poor production schedule for RQ if you actually look at the facts. (And the alternative to disappointing fans on the occasional product that doesn't make it to print is to never tell them what we're working on, and I don't think that's what they want.)

On top of that all, Issaries will be running in an even more professional matter.

Shannon

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #103