Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #94

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:23:31 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:59:25 EDT
> From: <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
> Subject: Re: Is Glorantha Dying?
>
> Brian Tickler:
> <<Let me ask you a question...if you had $30 to your name (until next payday)
> and walked into a store and saw the following 2 products on sale, which would
> you buy first?
>
> 1. Hero Wars box set with rules and entry-level basic scenario
> 2. Reprint of RQ2 Pavis box set bundled with a new RQ scenario book for
> Pavis>>
>
> True enough, I'd buy #2. But, even ignoring the fact that I'm not a new
> player and may not be typical of such how about:
>
> 1. Hero Wars Sartar Book (or any similar HW supplement)
> 2. Reprint of RQ2 Pavis box set bundled with a new RQ scenario book for Pavis
>
> Now, personally I'd have to think hard about that, but I'd probably go
> for #1.

The reason I picked the comparision I did was not to compare "fair" products, but to compare 2 products that Chaosium could come out with in roughly the same timeframe given where they are today. At least, I assume that Chaosium could repackage Pavis, create a new scenario book, and place it in the box by sometime in '99...I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect they could repackage both Pavis *and* Big Rubble, both with new scenario books, by the time HW would be out...

> << Glorantha is a great world, however, it is not good enough to stand on its
> own as HW will force it to do. Find me a copy of a Glorantha-based work of
> fiction in any bookstore that's not in the gaming section and I could be
> persuaded to change my mind... :)>>
>
> Issaries intend to sell Gloranthan fiction through the book trade as well
> as through normal gaming outlets. They have apparently had positive responses
> to this, so it could very well be on the horizon.

Well, the success of this all depends on quality...narratives ala "Biturian Varosh" would seem to a whole lot more viable than offerings like King of Sartar...

> Just out of interest, is this just general gloom (and if it is, you're
> clearly entitled to your opinions and there isn't really a lot of point
> arguing about it at length) or do you have suggestions as to how the situation
> could be improved? Given that RQ isn't profitable enough to be sold at
> present, that is.

I'd like to revise your last statement to "RQ as produced by AH/Chaosium since the mid '80s isn't profitable enough" before I dive in here...

Here's 2 ways to save Glorantha that have a better shot than HW alone IMO:

  1. Allow unlimited Gloranthan *scenario* publishing rights under *any* game system. Royalties of X% go to Chaosium after a $$$ threshold is reached, and Chaosium holds onto publishing rights/revenue for HW (the "approved" system) and any Gloranthan supplements (including their own scenarios).
  2. Republish RQ2 (or did AH->Hasbro get rights to RQ2 also? if so, buy them back, they'll be cheap) and publish HW as a heroquest supplement or even integrate the resolution mechanic to replace weaker non-combat areas like Oratory etc. Integrate the errata, sorcery rules, and some other already written goodies and just slap a new cover on the RQ2 rulebook. Call it RQ2000 :)...

Yes, yes, you all think I'm crazy, but you see I actually believe that the quality of RQ as rules set had very little to do with its demise.

> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:18:09 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
> Subject: The Ticklish question of RQ...
>
> If that's true, then Glorantha is a dead durulz in the not-so-long term,
> either way. That being so, why is it going to be worth Issaries, Inc's
> while trying to go the enormously unlikely looking RQ route? Are you
> _seriously_ suggesting that they flush the work commissioned on HW,
> spend what one can only speculate is likely to be an enormous quantity
> of cash to regain the IPR[*], and hope against hope that a warmed-over
> version of a 20-year old game will do what a new system won't?

I'd say it's the fan's who are purchasing shares that are shouldering the lion's share of the risk here. HW would serve just fine as a RQ supplement (Chaosium has been not-so-subtly positioning it that way for the current fan base anyway).