Ordinary Alex

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:11:17 -0700

>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>

>Isn't what the rules say is that you get a bump-up against all "ordinary"
>characters? Sure, there's latitude a-plenty about what an "ordinary"
>character is, but the choice of name seems suggestive of all PCs being
>"extra-ordinary".

>> -PCs don't start with mastery runes, but do get bump ups against ords.

>Sounds like a distinction without a real difference, and a confusing
>one, to boot.

Alex,

It is clear that you have not yet grasped the paradigm shift the Hero Wars is bringing. It is one that I as a GM am having a great time with. The real difference you are looking for is in whether or not the 'ordinary' characters are important to the GM/story/plot or not. If they are not, why waste a bunch of time with dozens of rolls to defeat the town beggar? If, on the other hand, the town beggar is a drunken insane ex-humakti rune lord, then they are given greater importance.

You are thinking ordinary means ordinary in ability. It does not, it means ordinary in terms of just background color. If you have two identical farmers, one can be ordinary and the other might not be, depending on the GM's need. As a GM this is a refreshing change of increased flexibility. (It handles the old D&D problem of why 20th level characters never encounter a lone orc and have to fight it.)

I think everyone who GMs Hero Wars for a while will be pleasantly surprised.

Eric Rowe