Sensing assassin

From: Steve Rennell <software_at_spis.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:01:43 +1200

:Ash Haji asked
> While trying to resolve when a Humakti character in my campaign gets her
> Sense Assassin triggered, I'm worried by the grey area between
> assassination and ambush and strategic concealment before attacking etc.

Generally I play it a little like Detect Enemies. The Humakti is using semi-mystical/ semi-bodylanguage cues to detect that someone is building up the will to murder another person. They need to be able to see that person to pick up those cues (Standing around their employer scanning the crowd with their dark sunglasses on). They don't get to detect people that are hiding behind a wall, They don't get to detect people at 400 yds with the scoped rifle unless they spot the person.

They don't get an explicit idea of who the target is, though they may guess correctly.

> Now, I remembered some old bits on the digest about rapists involuntarily
> performing acts of worship to Thed, and maybe ending up with chaos
> features or as broo. Following this idea, are assassins worshipping,
> deliberately or not, some Assassin God(dess )? Is there one? Then could
> this link be what Humakti are sensitive to, in the same way a Storm Buller
> could Sense Chaos on a rapist?

I wouldn't go for this, but consider, under this scheme Sense Assassin wouldn't work on first timers...

Steve