lessons on Kazkurtum

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 00:20:01 -0700

Lowell asks:

> 3. I've gone back and noted some discussion of the Black Sun as another
> name/reading for Kharzakrantaum...blah..(I don't have GROY handy so I've
> just butchered the name...but you know...he's the "bad" guy...)

Here - it's easy:

kaz-KUR-tum.

Say it over and over until you envision the Corruption that Never Dies, the Thing that Slithers to the Fore when Justice has Fled, the Part of Yelm that No One Dares See. Kaz-KUR-tum. It's fun!

K's exact relation to the Black Sun is tricky. An ancient Dara Happan rune for him is the inverted pyramid, reminiscent of the inverted temples of the Kingdom of Ignorance. But it's difficult to confirm or deny that they are the same deity. They certainly have similairities.

> I'm wondering if people use the Black Sun in their campaigns, especially
> those set outside Kralorela and the Kingdom of Ignorance. Would you say
> that the Black Sun is known among the Yelmi or Trolls elsewhere?

I definately use Kaz as a big part of Dara Happan theology in my campaign. He's great for instilling terror, mystery, and comic relief. There is an entire holy day devoted to him in Dara Happa, probably in the autumn, on the date corresponding to the Young God being seen naked by the spy (when the sun rises in a certain constellation in the Dara Happan celestial calendar). One can on only imagine the mayhem and debauchery that occurs in Dara Happa then! I imagine decent Yelmies would refuse to speak of it.

Pam