com bonus

From: John Murphy <talor_at_webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:51:42 -0400 (EDT)

What the writers might have been trying to get at with the com bonus added to languages only spoken at 5% is the ability to communicate non verbally to get across atleast simple points. For a real world example, I've had employees at my company that spoke only Spanish, which I speak very poorly. However, with the small amount of Spanish that I knew plus a lot of communication through facial expressions and body language we were able basic communication.
A Gloranthan example. An Orlanthi exile in Prax runs into a group of Strombull nomads who don't speak any Thelyan language or any language in common with the exile at all. The Orlanthi only knows about 5% of their tougne. However being the great natural communicator that he is his 12% com bonus might allow him to get the idea across that "hey 6 Broos are down there, help me wack 'em" even though he might not know any of those words in Praxian or Bison or whatever they speak. Nyslor probably had such a huge com bonus that he could communicate ideas to people of any language. He could speak to their heart or something

John