subVingan?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 22:27:11 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham says Vinga is a "subcult", Allen Wallace says "allied or associate cult".

This is really just a terminological distinction with very little meaning on the ground; an "associate" is effectively a "subcult" who is also worshipped in her own right elsewhere; or equally, a subcult (in the sense that's applicable here) is just like an associate, who doesn't have any temples of her own.

I don't think either term is especially Gloranthan, so which to apply is more of a rules issue (and not likely to be one of those for much longer, either, I suspect).

> and given that she's a pretty minor goddess and can't really support
> a full cult (where's there a Vinga Great Temple, or even a Temple?)

If you want to apply a rigid distinction, then globally she's an Associate (the Red Hair Lodge sounds jolly-gosh like a Temple to me), locally she's almost always a Subcult. Not so much because she's small beer, but because there's no logic (as you also point out) to their being structurally separate from "OA" types. Whereas for say LM, or CA, or Big H, there is such a need, though I suspect there are fewer of each of them.

Slan libh,
Alex.