Elmal and Yelmalio

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:25:32 +1200 (NZST)

Thomas the Telmori:

>Orlanthi believe that Yelm is the sun (that one visible in
>the sky), right ?

Only when they are ruled over by the Dara Happans. Yelm is the Sun in Dara Happan mythology and is seen by most Orlanthi (when not ruled over by Dara Happans) as just the Evil Emperor.

>And Elmali believe that Elmal is the sun, right ?

Yes.

>Somehow I cannot see how such different positions can be
>present in one pantheon.

Neither can most Orlanthi. That is why the Elmali get it in the neck. If their traditions remain unchanged, then they are hated by other Orlanthi for being Sun Worshippers and by the Lunars for being barbarians. Their other options are to a) move far away, b) convert to Yelmalio (and gain the support of the Lunars), or c) give up the Elmali ways.