Deity Pairs, Who beats who

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:16:01 +0000

Trotsky gives a number of gender-paired deities and asks:

> Female aspects to Storm I'll go along with, but to all the gods?
> Not, IMO,
> without defining that phrase so widely as to make it meaningless.
> For instance, who are the female counterparts of:
>
> Lhankor Mhy, Donandar, the Invisible God, Mastakos, Storm Bull,
> Thanatar, Yelmalio?

Yelmalio=Yelorna
Lhankor Mhy=His Wife (can't remember her name but Tien chopped her head off)

> Or the male counterparts of:
>
> Asrelia, Gorgorma, Krarsht, Malia, Maran Gor?

Gorgorma=Monster Man
Krarsht=Storm Bull (!)
Asrelia=Lodril

Daniel McCluskey says:
> > The only actual myth about Black Sun that I know of is the one
> > where he dresses up in dead fish and goes to challenge yelm for
> > the rulership of the universe, but falls in a terrified heap, and
> > slinks away long before Yelm notices him. That is what led me to
> > identify him with an "other" of Yelm, and assume that his powers
> > would be a sort of "Dark Parody" of Yelmic powers.

Ah, but the Red Emperor used exactly this HeroQuest to defeat Sheng Seleris' contender for Emperor, proving that Basko's challenge was correct even if the deity was not up to it.

Alex Ferguson:

> Elemental dominance in Glorantha basically works like:
>
> Storm beats Sun beats Darkness beats Chaos.
>
> (And no, it's not transitive..)

Nor is it complete, look at all the Darkness Gods smashed by Chaos, for instance. Lodril duffed up a couple of Storm Gods, mainly by blowing ask and smoke in their eyes. There are always exeptions to these generalisations.