Cack-handed Crossbows

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:45:19 +0100

> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:38:18 +0500
> From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
- -..
> I also suspect the giant harpoon's [at Harpoon in Sun County]
> original purpose had nothing to do with aquatic sea monsters. It's much
> more likely that it was constructed when the Sun Domers purged themselves of
> EWF/Draconic influences, to protect themselves from draconic retribution.
> In fact, it was probably originally located at the newly-built Sun Dome
> Temple, and only moved to the current site many years (centuries?) later
> when the fear of dragons had passed from people's minds.

In the description of the Old Sun Dome, in Sun County, its says the old library holds the `blueprints' of the `harpoon'. Now, the other books it mentions are treasures, so why mention the blueprints at all? The implication is that the blueprints are in good condition and on prominent display. This in turn implies Yamsur built the `harpoon' shortly before leaving for Dragon Pass, and it was originally at the Old Sun Dome.

You knew about this all along !;-)

> >But perhaps not so useful when controlled by left-handers.

I was referring to the draconic taint of left-handers, not their alleged incompetence.

Why build a giant CROSSBOW at all? Sun worshippers use bows and javelins. I'd expect a solar super-weapon to have mirrors to concentrate the sun's rays, or a magic analogue (like the globes on East Isles tall ships). Crossbows are dwarven. The nearest dwarves would have been in Pavis (?). Hmmm.

One of the RQ2 Pavis campaigns had information about the Sun Dragon, I believe: I don't have a copy. Does it have anything relevant to say?