Pol Joni, Yelorna's Mythic Origins

From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:37:14 -0500

Hello, all!

Good stuff in reply to my Pol Joni hits. I prefer the idea that the Pol Joni have some Waha worship, as survival on the plains is plainly impossible for humans without the aid of the Nomad Gods and indigenous Prax spirits. Waha seems to be a deity who is somewhat more active in time than most (Waha fights against Pavis on at least two occasions and loses, as opposed to Orlanth, who's only major appearanceduring time was when he used Mostal to destroy Zistor, the machine god, during the destruction of the God Learners. Oh,aside from Castle Blue, but does that count?) Perhaps Waha was bribed into allowing the Pol Joni into the Covenant, or Waha thought that it would do well for the plains to allow his uncle's children to dwell there, as they are powerful Chaos fighters. Anyway, MGF rules.

Now, to Yelorna. While we see evidence of her worship in Prax, was there ever a Yelorna or face thereof in Peloria, as part of the Yelmic solar pantheon? One can perhaps make a case for the Twin Stars, or perhaps that Yelorna is a feminine analog to Polaris, or that she's a female Star Captain. If she isn't a Dara Happan deity, is she a Dragon Pass invention, like some claim Yelmalio to be? Would there be a feminine analog to Yelorna amongst the Orlanthi, as Elmal is to Yelmalio? Elmalia? Or perhaps she was originally an Elf light/star deity? For some reason, I see Elf deities being more hemaphroditic and androgynous than the human norm.

Chris B
argrath_at_ix.netcom.com