Re: Orlanth Thunderess

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 03:55:04 -0500

>Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:34:00 EDT
>From: <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
>Subject: Orlanth Thunderess
> Firstly, there remains the question of how exactly women are supposed=
>gain thunderous powers. Through an unusual hero cult or sub-cult of OT, I
>would imagine, but short of pestering Greg about it, it seems unlikely=
 anyone
>on the Digest can provide an Official Answer.

I have a suggestion: make her a man :)

No, really. Perhaps she can "ritually" become a man by adopting a man's=  identity (disguising herself as a man for a period of time, either with or=  without the knowledge of her fellow cult members) and passing some=  ritualized tests designed to prove her maleness. I can see this as some=  kind of tribal ceremony or ritual drama, where she has to go through some=  sort of male puberty ritual. Of course, she has to have the support and=  intervention of tribal sponsors.

Alternately, she can do this somehow without tribal support, but she has to=  use her brains and trickery to perform male functions (hide her obvious=  female attributes in the sweat-bath, get circumcised, marry a woman and=  sire a child, etc.). Far more difficult, but a great deal more rewarding.

Afterward, she would be permitted to function in a male role in tribal=  society, including joining male-only cults. Some tribesmen would admire=  her moxie, others would hate her flouting tribal customs and call her a=  bad influence on the children.