HW (yet again) [cont]

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:07:14 EDT

Forgot to put this in my earlier reply...

Rick Meints:

<< Lastly: Hero Wars won't destroy your current campaign. You will have a game that can operate on all levels of play, not just the "Hero" level. Any character can be created at any level of power, including the "start with nothing" beginning types, with only a few very simple adjustments. >>

     I'll briefly point out that the capability of the GM to control the rate at which PCs advance in ability is just as crucial as being able to start them off at a satisfactory level. But RQ wasn't exactly renowned for that, either...

     Despite that, speaking personally, it isn't so much whether or not the system can handle low to medium level gaming that I'm apprehensive about. If all else fails, I can ditch the system and just pinch the useful bits for my own game. I'm more apprehensive that the officially published scenarios, background supplements etc. will concentrate on the high level heroic-type stuff at the expense of more useful material.

    Hopefully this won't be the case, and there will be a reasonable balance supporting both types of campaign, but, while its too early to judge, what I've heard hasn't entirely inspired confidence. For instance, I think the idea of doing away with building-by-building descriptions of cities (as Robin has stated a couple of times) is a regrettable one, if hardly disastrous. Perhaps Issaries just needs better PR ;-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky